Monday 5 September 2011

The clock is ticking...

Four weeks before my intended departure date and it and  it all came down to a Monday morning at the Chinese Visa Office.

Those of you that know me will be aware of my rocky relationship with a Monday morning, and so the fact the the past 8 months of planning came down to this particular morning, didn't fill me with confidence.

As I sat, waiting for the visa desks to open, I thought about the consequences of the mornings possible outcomes.

If my visa was rejected, what would I do? No going back to work now, they all know that I'm leaving. Would I go somewhere else? Teach somewhere hot? Thailand? Maybe. But it's China that has me intrigued, China is where I will face the high and lows of a new and completely different culture.

What if I do get my visa? I would be going. I would be leaving London, my friends, my girlfriend. I have a fantastic life here and it has taken me two and a half years to get to where I am. Am I really throwing all of this away for a risky venture in China?

Can I really do this alone?

As I sat thinking, my thoughts were interrupted by a tannoy announcement. 'Number 3007 to desk number five please' As I approached the visa desk, my heart was pounding. Scared that I would and scared that I wouldn't get the visa I needed.

I was asked to pay and informed my visa has been processed successfully.

I'm going.

Sent to desk number four, for the passport and visa collection I was full of mixed emotions. Excitment, much excitment. But sadness, sad to be leaving a girlfriend, friends and family that I love and are used to having close by.

Am I really going?

After a long anxious wait, I stood and stared at my passport and at the new information stamped inside.

I'm going... The China adventure starts here.



No comments:

Post a Comment