Saturday 7 April 2012

Happy Birthday to me! (The English Birthday) (17.03.2012)

As I'm getting older and am living in a different country, I thought I deserved at least two birthdays this year and so I decided to use my return flight to head back to England for a flying visit after 6 months of living in the Eastern Hemisphere.

My journey back was long but comfortable and I spent the best part of it bringing myself out of the China 'bubble', preparing for a week in the normality of English life. After taking so long to get used to the various differences in cultures, it was hard to imagine how I would feel being back in the western world, understanding the spoken language, eating English food and sitting down to pee... (I guess some things would be easy to get used to again!)

Of course, I was very much looking forward to seeing the girl again after being apart for so long and I was filled with excitement and anticipation when I arrived in London. Long distance relationships are very hard at times and with us both having been through such different, although equally challenging times without each other,  we were both looking forward to reconnecting once again.

After collecting my baggage and freshening up, I went on to tackle the London trains to make my way home. After jumping onto the wrong train and taking a detour into central London, I finally arrived after 27 hours of travelling. There, I found my girl, waiting for me with a smile.

Of course all you blogger readers don't want to here the details of what was a very romantic first evening together, so I will get straight onto the interesting stuff... Birthday presents!

Those of you that know me will know that it's the simple things in life that make me smile, and in this instance it was a set of Rubik's puzzles  that had me as excited as a three year at Disney Land. I had wanted these puzzles since I was very young and so for me this was a very thoughtful gift. I really am a big kid at times.

But this wasn't to be my only present (yes I really was spoiled), I was to be pampered with a spa weekend at a local spa resort, massages, facials, dinners... I couldn't think of a nicer way to celebrate my birthday with my girl.

It was Tuesday when I arrived and so had some time to recover from the jet-lag and catch up with as many people as I could before my weekend of relaxation. Unfortunately the evils of jet-lag had other plans and I lost around two days to a severe lack of energy. I was also suffering from some nasty headaches and having had some trouble with my ear for some time, I thought I would take the opportunity whilst home to see an English Doctor for a check up.

In England, health care is free and in order to see a doctor, you simply need to have an address and register with your local GP. With my address currently in China, I had no choice but to visit one of the local walk in centres and wait for what could be an eternity before I could be seen.

Luckily, there was a walk in centre not to far from home and I set off, Rubik's puzzle in hand, hoping the wait wouldn't be too long. After explaining my situation to the reception staff I was met with much scepticism. 'Your living in China? 'Ok then, can you speak Chinese?!' (that makes a difference?) 'We need your Chinese address... what do you mean you only know the Chinese charactors?!' and so a long registration process began.

Once finally registered, I sat down and began the long wait. With my head and ear throbbing by this point I was quite thankful for what was quite a peaceful waiting area and so I sat and started to try and solve my new puzzle. Unfortunately this peace and quite didn't last long as the local drunk walked in shortly after for treatment to her hand. At first this drunken lady was loud but friendly and proceeded to try and cheer everyone up with some tuneless songs. Despite my throbbing head, I was amused greatly, it had been a while since I was around such behaviour, the Chinese certainly don't find themselves in these drunken messes.

But the friendly songs and conversation didn't last long, after discovering I wasn't from around here (I didn't mention I was living in another country) it was assumed that I was foreign and here wasting her tax money with 'just a headache'. After trying to explain that I was English and also a tax payer, I was informed that I 'Don't sound English' and should 'Fuck off back to my own country'. At this point I was moved to another waiting area (I'm not quite sure why I was the one to be moved?) where I continued to wait, angry and somewhat upset by the narrow mindedness of some of the people in my own country. This part of England I really didn't miss.

Shortly after I saw the doctor (who amusingly enough was foreign) and proceeded to spend just a few minutes looking at my ear before explaining that the pain was most likely just wax, the solution to which was simply painkillers. I asked about ways to remove and prevent wax and therefore this pain in the future, but he could offer no advice and I left still in pain, with no solution to the problem and feeling somewhat dismissed. The has potential to be great once again, but after several similar experiences I have to say that there a certainly flaws in the system.

With such little time, jet-lag and the headaches, there wasn't much opportunity to see too many people whilst home. However, one person I was very much looking forward to seeing was my older brother Luke.

I'm very close with my older brother and he is always there to give me advice or to tell me I'm being a fool. After six months of skyping my experiences and feelings it was lovely to be able to have a proper chat over lunch and coffee.

We met in St Albens and it was a beautiful sunny day. After leaving China in the snow it felt great to be outside in the warmth. We wondered around the Cathedral park, checking out the grounds and a Roman Mural, talking and catching up properly. It was so nice to be able to spend some time together after so long. But of course, the time came when we had to leave and I was sad to have to say goodbye again, not really knowing when I would see him again. I miss our fortnightly get together lots.

The weekend was spent with the girl in a beautiful spa hotel. We enjoyed a relaxing swim (thoroughly enjoyed by myself ), saunas, steams, massages, facials, dinners, sunshine and beautiful surroundings. Much needed by us both after such a long time apart. It was a lovely second birthday and for the first time in six months I felt completely relaxed.

But, time flew by and before I knew it it was time to say good bye once again. Feeling just as heartbroken to be leaving as I did the first time, I realised that my feelings for the girl haven't faded even a little over the time and distance. I know that for me right now, China is where I am meant to be, but when that same feeling is also telling me that the girl is just as right, it's very hard to say goodbye and be apart once again. Needless to say there was tears and sadness from us both when we finally did part again.

I spent my flight back thinking everything over. I'm really not sure where my life is heading or what lies ahead for me. But despite any sadness, there are so many opportunities ahead of me... I just need to be strong enough to reach out and take them.





No comments:

Post a Comment