Sunday 9 October 2011

Where am I going to get a coffee?!


6th October 2011
Arriving at Beijing airport, tired and a little shell shocked to say the least, I found it hard to believe that after all the planning and months of preparation, I was finally here. But, the thought of being here for the longer term at this point, doesn’t seem comprehensible .
I arrived early afternoon, so after getting to the hostel All I wanted to do was to sleep. After about 4 hours sleep in two days, I had no trouble falling into a deep slumber!

Waking up on day two was disorientating to say the least… Why are there people in my room? Where is my girl? Why can I hear Mandarin? More importantly… Where am I going to get a coffee?!
At first I wasn’t really sure what to do with myself. After years of routine, with places to be and responsibilities to adhere to, it’s actually quite hard to adjust to a life of total freedom. 
After finding a Mc D’s for a coffee (they really are everywhere!), I tackled the local phone shop and got myself set up with a new phone with China Mobile.  Feeling like I should do something, after all I’m in China, I decided to try and find the Forbidden City (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forbidden_City
 
All those pictures you see of the Chinese underground, people pushing and cramming others into trains… all true. For about one line! The rest is crowded, but better than London. Trains are on time, no hold ups and fast. Although people have no idea about letting people off the train, you really have to fight to get off!!

Walking around the Forbidden City area, I was simply amazed. Still not quite over the shock of being in China, the temples, architecture and sheer volume of people (national holiday week here) had me stop in awe. However it appeared I was having the same effect of those around me, many stopping and staring, parents pointing me out to their children, photos being taken as I stop to eat. I don’t think I even saw another white person whilst walking around, so I can understand the curiosity.

Looking forward there are many challenges ahead and no doubt that for quite some time, I will continue to wake and wonder, where is my girl? Why are there people in my room? And why can I hear Manadarin? But at the very least… I now know where I can get myself a coffee.

Jema

3 comments:

  1. i m here!!! but.. the mc coffee to taste the same as England??
    love u!!!! :)
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Starbucks in chinese is Xingpahkuh (Shing pah ker) try that!

    Btw I'm James (your cousin) 's step daughter! HI!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forget to reply... Hey!! Give James a slap from me ;)

      Delete